COLLEGE ESSAY PREP FOR ESL
The design of this course is specifically for English Language Learners interested in polishing their English skills in a challenging college-level academic setting.
The main goal of the course is to prepare students to write at the college – university level. At the same time, all readings for this course have been selected to promote critical thinking, familiarizing students with academic writing, and presenting students models for effective writing. Students will be familiarized with the process of writing (and rewriting) through pre-writing activities; outlining; writing and editing a first draft; and finally, producing a final, proofread essay.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- Grammar and syntax are discussed as needed.
- Thesis-centered essays.
- An ability to read critically.
- Analyze an argument, and engage with that argument by making use of your own critical voice.
- Not only developing critical reading, thinking, and writing skills, but also on how you can apply the lessons found in the texts you read to your life today.
- Practice different genres of writing, including the personal and the analytical essay.
- Produce a personal essay that may later be used as part of your college applications.
- Construct a coherent thesis-centered analytical essay in which you engage with and evaluate an author’s argument.
CEFR English Levels – A1 – C+
- Lectures 21
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 6 weeks
- Skill level All levels
- Students 4
- Certificate Yes
- Assessments Yes